Week Seven: Humane Society
Today marked the end of week seven. I was able to volunteer all day today (Saturday). I worked from 10am until 3pm, when they closed. Overall, I prefer the longer days. They give me more of a chance to connect with the animals and the people and get more of an inside scoop on the organization.
Today I got to work in the back of the shelter. I did busy work for the most part, including laundry, dishes, cleaning pens, bathing dogs, exercising the animals, and other such things. During the down time, however, I was able to help with other things and witness the other side of the work these people do. I found out that it is not always pleasant. For example, today I saw an agressive dog brought in by its owner. The poor thing was scared to death, lashing out, biting, barking, growling, and trying to break free. It had to be brought in on a pole to protect the workers. It was quite possibly the saddest thing I have seen in a while. I know that the precautions had to be taken for protection, and I know the workers didn't want to have to bring the dog in the way they did. It was just sad that the situation had gotten so bad that it turned out that way.
I did, however, have some great experiences today. I helped two dogs get adopted into two seemingly great families. I know I mention this every time, but this is the best feeling in the world. Especially when it is one of the animals that I have gotten close to. I love knowing that, in a way, I have helped provide happiness for atleast one animal. I have really appreciated my experiences, and I am looking forward to next week.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home