Week Eight: Humane Society
It is strange to think that I have finally finished my required community service at the Humane Society. This week was interesting because I ran into another classmate that I did not even realize was volunteering there! I finished my last two hours on Tuesday evening, which I have never done. I usually go on Wednesdays, Fridays, or Saturdays (whichever I can fit in). Therefore, when I walked in, I was surprised to see Jennifer struggling to hold onto a most adorable little puppy. It was great to have a fellow Honors program volunteer to work with because we got to compare experiences. I had not been able to work with Jessica for a while, so the company was a nice change.
The Humane Society displays their mission proudly. They work “to promote the humane care and protection of all animals, especially those abandoned, neglected and abused and to prevent cruelty and suffering.” For the past eight weeks, I have witnessed many things, both good and bad. I have seen dogs get adopted, dogs get put down, sick cats, cranky workers, cruel customers, happy children, families reunited with lost pets, and anything else imaginable. Through all these things, however, the organization works hard to accomplish their mission. It is obvious that they care about each animal and do the best job they can do with their available resources. Animals get a second chance because these people are willing to put in the time to help them. I am glad I chose the Humane Society as my Service Learning organization. Even though the last week is ending, I am not through helping. Hopefully I will be able to use what I have learned through my experiences to keep volunteering and giving back in some way. I hope all of you have had an even more wonderful time than I have. I shall see you in class next week!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home